Senior Director, Executive Compensation
Reporting to the Vice President Total Rewards, the Executive Compensation, the Senior Director will support the design and administration of Vertex’s executive compensation programs and manage all day-to-day aspects of the executive compensation function. The position will ensure the appropriate
compensation programs and processes are in place to support Vertex’s global growth and strategic business objectives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical expertise on executive compensation design, policies, procedures, regulations, and compliance.
- Develop, implement, and analyze executive compensation and benefit programs for executives and non-employee directors, including short- and long-term incentive plans, financial and tax treatment of compensation and benefit programs, and proxy disclosure and analysis.
- Benchmark executive compensation levels and design at peer companies, contributing to market analysis of executive level jobs to determine competitive positioning and prepare and provide data and analysis for use in compensation committee meetings or proxy filings.
- Monitor developments in executive compensation regulation, disclosure, proxy advisor policies and shareholder voting. Anticipate changes to keep apprised of federal, state, and local laws to ensure executive compensation programs are administered in compliance with policies and government regulations.
- Develop and maintain peer competitive intelligence for real-time understanding of competitive landscape leveraging various tools and subscriptions (i.e.; Equilar, ISS, etc.) and partnerships with internal data intelligence teams to advance Total Rewards peer intelligence.
- Oversee and drive effective use and on-going development of support tools (off the shelf, subscription services, in-house built, etc.) to optimize executive compensation practices.
- Develop executive offers and continually enhance offer process in collaboration with Talent Acquisition for optimal effectiveness and efficiencies in accordance with Total Rewards principles. Oversee financial benefits to increase program effectiveness and understanding.
- Partner with Stock Administration and other internal partners to manage global equity incentives and Employee Stock Purchase Program driving program effectiveness and enterprise-wide understanding.
- Develop communications to ensure plan participants understanding of programs.
- Prepare and coordinate materials for presentations to senior management and Compensation Committee; collaborate with Legal, Accounting, Tax, and other external advisors.
- Conceptualize and oversee the development/maintenance of key performance dashboards using both internal and external benchmark data in order to measure performance and progress, support decision making, and drive positive culture change.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent relevant experience
Education and Experience:
- 12 years of functional experience in designing and managing executive and equity compensation programs on a global basis or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Optimal mix of strong business and financial acumen, analytical skills, and technical skills to be the hands-on driver of day-to-day, tactical executive compensation and equity initiatives.
- Ability to build relationships across multiple functions and effectively present information to executives and employees
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills; ability to concisely summarize complex topics for senior leaders, communicating with individuals of all levels and maintaining professional composure, and respectfully challenging the status quo
- Excellent presentation skills; ability to negotiate with and influence internal stakeholders
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Office Suite coupled with knowledge of executive compensation tools (i.e., Equilar and ISS) and financial tools (e.g., CAP IQ).
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills, with the ability to interpret market data and make data-driven recommendations
- Strong communication and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively communicate complex compensation concepts to senior leadership and other stakeholders
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy, with a focus on delivering high quality work
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information with absolute discretion
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to build relationships and collaborate effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- Managing multiple projects and priorities in a fast-paced, changing environment.
We’re enabling flexibility and choice between individuals and their managers to maintain our strong culture of collaboration and ensure a daily vibrancy within our sites globally. In this Hybrid or On-Site-Eligible role, you can choose to work:
1. Hybrid and work remotely up to two days per week; or select
2. On-Site and work 5 days per week with ad hoc flexibility.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.