Senior Revenue Accountant, Advertising
Marketing & Communications, Accounting & Finance
Los Gatos, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2023
*This role can be based in Los Gatos, CA or New York, NY*
Netflix is one of the world's leading streaming entertainment services with 238 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries, feature films and mobile games across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can play, pause and resume watching as they want, anytime, anywhere, and can change their plans at any time.
The core Advertising team is charged with building a new, best-in-class ads organization to establish Netflix as the premiere platform for advertiser partners and to drive advertising revenue. Our Revenue team is currently looking for a Senior Ads Revenue Accountant to partner with multiple cross-functional teams to establish and scale multiple aspects of Netflix’s growing ads business, across pricing, order management, contract support, and variable compensation. This individual will look to solve complex revenue recognition and operational issues with groups such as Sales Ops, FP&A, Sales, and Infrastructure Engineering.
You will be based in either Los Gatos, CA or New York City, NY, but will work cross-functionally across many time zones with our US and international offices.
In this role, you will:
- Provide revenue recognition guidance, including technical memo preparation (if applicable), for new products, features, and pricing changes introduced as part of Netflix’s ads business.
- Act as primary Revenue Accounting point of contact in the implementation of, user testing, and ongoing changes to Netflix’s ad infrastructure, including its customer relationship management (CRM) tool, and order management system (OMS).
- Operate in a cross-functional working group to develop and launch Netflix’s variable compensation plan for Sales employees, including implementation of a calculation engine, which will involve defining data integrations and workflows with other systems and tools.
- Ensure updates to rate cards, pricing policies, and/or price-impacting new products/ features are reflected in both upstream and downstream system(s).
- Liaise with Sales, Sales Ops, Product, and Engineering to oversee the repository of contractual terms, incentive arrangements, and customer offerings, to ensure items are captured in relevant systems and revenue is recognized accurately + completely.
- Understand and analyze relevant ads revenue drivers and the impact on internally and externally reported business metrics.
- Own the variable compensation month-end close process, which includes review of the sales commission accrual, validation of true-ups + adjustments, detailed analytics, monthly account reconciliations, and external audit deliverables.
- Collaborate with our international finance and international tax teams to bridge US GAAP and Statutory/Local reporting requirements.
- Drive ongoing operational process improvements along with Sales Ops, infrastructure engineering, Pricing Team, and Workday ERP teams.
Qualities we're looking for:
- A passion for building from the ground up with a vision towards the future and scale.
- Self-motivated and dedicated; able to work and problem-solve independently.
- A great communicator who can cultivate strong cross-functional relationships and communicate effectively with internal teams and external partners.
- Proactive and contributive; takes initiative and follows through reliably.
- Accustomed to multitasking, prioritizing, and meeting multiple tight deadlines.
- Intellectually curious and passionate; our team members ask probing questions, challenge the status quo, make changes to improve processes, and have fun while doing it all.
- Comfortable with Ambiguity.
- Organized, detail-oriented, and a speedy learner; you can be successful on our team if you're excited about learning, focused on becoming an expert in the areas you support, and have the drive to succeed.
Education and experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of prior accounting experience.
- Experience working at an advertising technology, media company, and/or Ad Agency/HoldCo is greatly encouraged.
- Proven project management experience and demonstrated ability to drive process improvements.
- Experience with CRM and/or OMS .
Bonus experience - not required but are a plus!
- Experience with Workday Financials or other cloud-based ERP systems.
- Prior exposure to variable compensation/sales commission process.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $60,000 - $290,000
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and celebrate diversity, recognizing that diversity of thought and background builds stronger teams. We approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, national origin, caste, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic makeup, marital status, or military service.