Senior Sales Compensation Analyst, FP&A
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
This position requires an individual with a demonstrated level of maturity and strong attention to detail who can discreetly manage the various elements associated with CIENA’s sales compensation plan. Excellent oral and written communication skills also required to interface cross functionally in a team environment with various levels of management. Primary responsibilities include development and administration of incentive plans tailored for each individual salesperson; documentation of changes in salaries and compensation plans throughout the year; calculation of monthly commission payments; assistance in development of a new compensation plan for CIENA’s next fiscal year.
Under direction of the FP&A Sr Manager, the Senior Sales Compensation Analyst will:
- Be responsible for all aspects of the day-to-day operations of the commission cycle.
- Using the Varicent Sales Performance Management tool, ensure accuracy and completeness of commissions crediting and payout results in accordance with the Sales Compensation Plan.
- Work closely with the Sales Management team, be a trusted advisor to our sales team and respond to compensation related inquiries in an effective and timely manner.
- Research compensation issues and disputes and provides analysis to facilitate resolution.
- Prepare key monthly commission reconciliation reports including reporting of monthly commission and sales attainment metrics.
- System administration responsibility including sales compensation model update, testing, and other support activities related to plan, quota, and policy changes to support any business requirements.
- Partner with Sales Operations, HR, Finance, and Payroll to accurately process payment for new hires, terminations, LOAs, and transfers.
- Support implementing process improvements, documenting procedures to achieve efficiencies and scalability.
- Validate data from multiple systems to ensure accurate compensation data sources, calculations, account assignments.
- Perform audit controls and prepare documentation and examples per SOX requirements.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills with minimum direction.
- Demonstrated attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy.
- Proven level of discretion and clear judgment on sensitive topics.
- Ability to work well both with senior management as well as individual salespersons.
- Ability to multi-task across a broad range of responsibilities and work in a dynamic environment.
- Capacity to coordinate multiple projects and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Must be self-motivated, have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Possess initiative and strong organizational skills.
- Prior experience with Sales Compensation or Sales Operations.
- Familiarity with Sales Compensation Programs.
- Previous experience with ICM/Varicent, Salesforce, Anaplan, SQL or Cognos database an asset.
- Proficiency in Excel, including pivot tables, vlookups, logic-based formulas and other advanced capabilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting or related field is preferred.
- 6+ years related experience with sales compensation administration or related financial/sales operation/commercial engagement role
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.